skip to main |
skip to sidebar
runza making tutorial
For Talk About Tuesday this week I thought that I would share one of my family's favorite recipes - Runzas. This is my hubby's favorite meal that doesn't get cooked on a grill. I took several pictures yesterday while I made them. They are a little more work compared to other meals but are definitely worth the extra effort!
For the dough -
5 - 6 cups of flour (I use bread flour and sneek in a cup or so of whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp quick-rising active dry yeast
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Heat milk, water & butter until warm (115º to 120ºF). Pour into flour mixture. Add eggs and beat on low, with a paddle attachment, for about 30 seconds.
Continue to beat on high for another 3 minutes.
Switch from a paddle attachment to a dough hook and gradually add the remainder of the flour until the dough holds it shape but is still a little sticky. I often take it out of the machine when it's getting close and kneed for a few minutes by hand because I go by how it feels. Keep adding small amounts of flour until you can kneed the dough easily with it not sticking to the counter but yet it still feels a little sticky to the touch. Makes sense right?! :) Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rest for 20 minutes or so while you make the meat filling.
Now is also a good time to pick up the baby that has been hanging on your legs and give her some kisses and cuddles. :)
For the filling -
1 pound of ground beef
half of a small head of cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper
garlic salt
lawry's seasoning salt
Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet. Add shredded cabbage and seasonings to taste. You don't want the filling to be too wet so only add a few tablespoons of worcestershire sauce. Just keep taste testing the meat filling until you get the seasonings just right. The meat filling is done cooking when the cabbage is cooked. Allow the filling to cool for awhile before shaping the runzas.
To shape, cut off a dough ball about this size and flatten it with a rolling pin into a rectangular shape.
Place a slice of American cheese on the dough and then cover with a couple of large spoonfuls of the meat and cabbage.
Fold up the two ends and then the sides. Pinch all three seams closed then place on a greased baking sheet.
Cover & let rest 40 - 60 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, approximately 25 minutes. Rub the top of each runza with a small amount of butter while still hot.
I was able to make 14 runzas and there was enough leftover dough for 2 buns. I thought I was going to be able to get 2 meals out of this batch but everyone was hungry last night and there were only 4 left. I still have that other half of the cabbage so I might mix up another batch since everyone wants more.
17 comments:
Oh, man, that looks delicious! I'm definitely going to be trying this recipe out. Thanks for sharing it! And the pictures really help.
Yum! That looks awesome! I may have to try it out next week!
This looks SO good! I will try this soon!
Julie
Thanks for sharing the recipe and PICTURES! How many is considered a serving? I have 7 kids, how many would I need to make for a meal?
Wow Darcy, these looks delicious! I just checked my fridge and I have a cabbage so guess what I'm making for supper!!! Thank you, thank you for the recipe and the tutorial :)
That looks so delicious! I'll definitely have to save this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Looks so yummy! This is going in my "gotta try" stack.
OOH that sounds and looks so good! Great TAT post ;-)
Those look like something my husband would love. Thanks for the recipe!
Kassie,
I would make a double batch for sure. The leftovers are always good!
-Darcy
heehee RE: baby hanging on your legs. So true!
These look delicious.
Hey Darcy : ) Thanks for the recipe, this looks really yummy and fun!
Those look great except I think I'm going to have my husband and daughter make them for me. They make a great pair in the kitchen. Thanks for the recipe!
So happy to find your home cooking from Monica's Homespun. :) I had to bookmark this. thanks for sharing.
That looks so good....I have never heard of Runza's before. what is the origin of them???
Hi Jen,
I do not know the origin of them. Here is a link to the restaurant that makes them that my recipe is a copy cat of.
-Darcy
I LOVE Runza's. I'm from Omaha so only have dreams of dipping my cheese runza in ranch! I WILL be making these tonight!
Post a Comment