The leaves are taking their time to change this year which is fine with me. There are some trees that are bright yellow and red already but surprisingly many are still pretty green. This week it isn't quite so summer-like so I'm sure they'll be changing quickly now.
Last night I made a batch of pear butter. It made the house smell so good! I hope to make apple butter as well. We love it for breakfast on toast. Here's the recipe if you want to try it. It only takes an hour and a half to make and is worth every minute of it!
Pear Butter6 - 7 cups pear puree
1 cup granulated sugar
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Remove peel, core and seeds from ripe pears. Puree in a food processor or blender. Mix together in a saucepan with sugar and spices. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Ladle into sterilized jars, seal and water bath for 15-20 minutes. Smile each time you hear the 'pop' of the seal.

3 comments:
hey darcy...can you use this recipe for peach butter as well? also, i've never done any of this so could you explain the sterilization process or anything to do with the jars??? Thanks!:)
Hi Tiff!
I've never tried this recipe with peach puree but I would think it'd work fine though. To sterilize canning jars I just run them through the dishwasher. I put the lids and rings in a saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil and keep them hot until I'm ready for them. I don't always water bath everything I preserve but my jars weren't hot when I ladled the pear butter in them this time and I didn't want to risk them not sealing so I just put them in a pot and filled it with water about 3/4 of the way up the jars and then let the water come to a boil for 15 - 20 minutes. All of them sealed within an hour so it worked.
I'm sure that you already know this but make sure the ring on the jar is completely clean before you try to put the lid on. That is often the reason for jars not sealing. I always just use a damp cloth to wipe around the top of the jar, even if it looks fine.
Hope this helps!
-Darcy
That sounds like a yummy fall recipe. I am thinking now that I have been found with food allergies, it may not be a bad idea to learn to do canning myself. At least I will know exactly what went into that jar of food!!
If only I had friends here in my real world that knew how to can. That might make the adventure a little more pleasing to start. My mother never canned either; I suppose it was just the times I grew up in.
Did you find a pear farm or purchase your pears from a grocer? Did you use a few types of pears or just one kind of pear?
Thanks Darcy!! I am glad you posted some tips in the comments area.
Andrea L.
Post a Comment