Wednesday, October 03, 2007

pumpkin bread

This is the pumpkin bread recipe that I usually make every fall. This week I decided to give a new pumpkin bread recipe a try from one of my favorite cookbooks where every recipe I've tried has been a 'make again'.....until now. The new recipe wasn't nearly as good as this one.

Pumpkin Bread

3 1/3 cups flour
4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
15 oz. can pumpkin (not pie filling)
2/3 cup water

Sift together flour, pumpkin pie spice, soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Beat together sugar and oil until light. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in pumpkin. Add dry ingredients alternately with water to the sugar mixture. Pour into 2 greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pans. Bake in 325 degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into center of the loaf. (This recipe freezes well.)

I also thought I'd share this recipe for Honey Orange Cream Cheese Spread even though I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be perfect on a slice of pumpkin bread. I will be making it when I make another batch.

Honey Orange Cream Cheese Spread

1 (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp. orange juice

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!! Thanks for posting the recipe and hope you're having a great week!!

-Nikki

Stephanie said...

I love pumpkin bread. I'll have to try this recipe and that yummy spread next time. Thanks!

theups said...

Oh YUM!! And the honey orange cream cheese spread sounds TO DIE FOR!!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this pumpkin bread. I'm going to use fresh pumpkin, and see how it turns out. I love cooking with fresh pumpkin.