Sunday, July 29, 2007

corn and black bean salsa

We had friends over on Saturday and I made this salsa for an afternoon snack on the lake and it was enjoyed by the adults and the kids. Well, except for Thomas...if I would've left out the tomato and avocado he would've happily ate it! I've made this many, many times and it usually disappears pretty quickly.

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed and cooked
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1/4 cup red bell peper, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, sliced very thin
2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
3 average size limes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 ripe avocodos, chopped

Combine beans and corn in a medium bowl. Add cilantro, red pepper, onions, and jalapeno pepper; mix well. Add the juice of 2 of the limes, olive oil, cumin, salt and black pepper; stir to blend. At this point the salsa should be covered and put in the fridge to allow the flavors to blend for a few hours.

If you aren't a fan of tomatoes or avocado this is where you would stop with the recipe. It's great without them, especially when you can't find good tomatoes and ripe avocado. But to really 'kick it up a notch'....

An hour or so before serving add the chopped tomatoes and avocado to the salsa. Squeeze the juice of the 3rd lime over the chopped avocado before stirring to prevent it from browning. Mix everything together and then pour into a bowl and serve with tortilla chips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darcy... I don't know if you've ever eaten at Chipotle (it's a FABULOUS mexican restaurant) but they have this amazing corn salsa that sounds alot like this recipe with a few minor changes. Suffice it to say, I've been in a desperate search for the recipe (or something like it), and you may have hit on it with this one. I'll have to let you know how it comes out when I give it a try. :) Have a good one! ~Cass

Anonymous said...

Darcy -

This salsa has become a staple in the Held home (the Tim and Cassie Held home, that is). We've taken to calling it Edible Heroin because it's so addicting! :) I put a bit of garlic and other herbs in it and leave out the tomatoes and avacado. (Tommy can always have some at out house!) :) Suffice it to say, we LOVE it. Thanks for sharing!

~Cass

P.S. It's also made a name for itself in Connecticut, as I routinely brought it to work (I was threatened with death if I didn't divulge the secret recipe).