Thursday, January 18, 2007

pork and black bean soup

I made this soup last night for dinner and we all enjoyed it. I had put 2 small pork roasts in the crockpot on Monday for BBQ pork sandwiches and I used the leftovers for this recipe.

1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 pound shredded pork
salt to taste
juice of 1 lime

shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips

Saute onion in olive oil in a dutch oven until tender; add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Stir in broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 15 minutes. Process 2 cups of the bean mixture in a blender until smooth then pour it back into the dutch oven. Stir in the pork and let simmer again for 10 minutes. Before serving stir in the juice of 1 lime. Top each serving with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream and a little cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips as crackers.

Avacado would've been a tasty addition to each servings as well but I didn't have any. I will remember it for next time!

By the way, remember to look in the mirror to see if there is any cilantro stuck in your teeth after eating this soup before going to town. Trust me. :)

No comments: