Thursday, January 08, 2009

g.g. lemke's angel food cake

Today I made an angel food cake. I love this recipe. I'm sentimental about family recipes and this one comes from Scott's great grandma. It was given to me by Scott's Aunt Deb the first year we were married and I have made it over and over and it has always turned out excellent.

Sift together in a bowl -
1 1/4 c. cake flour
1/2 c. sugar
sift a total of 4 times

1 1/2 c. egg whites, room temperature (approx. 10 - 12 eggs)
1 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
Beat eggs until bubbly around the edges, just a minutes or so. Then add the cream of tartar, salt, vanilla & almond extract and beat until stiff peaks form.

Lower speed and blend in 1 1/2 c. sugar in 4 dumps. Add flour/sugar mixture in 4 dumps. (Don't overbeat when doing this. I often end up folding in the flour mixture with a spatula just to be sure I don't deflate the egg whites.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Turn upside down. Remove from pan when cooled.

*A tip I learned was to make a parchment paper circle to line the bottom of the angel food cake pan. It makes it so easy to take out of the pan.

When I was separating the eggs I grabbed an ice cube tray that I had just washed and put each egg yolk in the tray. I don't know why I never thought of this before! I'm not sure if egg yolks can actually be frozen. I'm just storing them in the fridge and plan to make a batch of miniature cream puffs with them tomorrow to put in the freezer.

5 comments:

Autryville said...

Looks delicious. I have a problem finding and angel food cake pan that doesn't leak during baking. And suggestions?

And cream puffs! I haven't made any in along time. You've inspired me!

Taylor said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea with the eggs! I am so envious of all your beautfiul cookware and serving items. A lot of my kitchen gear is hand-me- downs from mom, and little by little I've been able to add to my collection over the years. There's still so much I want, like the cake dish with cover that you have! Ok, I'm done venting, I'll be content now. (:

Darcy said...

Autryville,

I'm not sure about the leaking angel food cake pan. Your's must have a removable bottom? Or is it leaking over the top? My pan is just an inexpensive, nonstick one that I picked up at Target years ago. It doesn't have a removable bottom so I haven't had any problems with leaking. Sorry I'm not much help! :)

-Darcy

KansasA said...

Wow it's been awhile since I've been to your blog Darcy, we all get so darn busy :)
Love the egg tip, I'll have to do that the next time I'm making angel food cake!