Monday, October 22, 2007

knitted beanie



I stopped in the yarn shop after Thomas's orthodontist appointment this morning to pick up one skein of yarn for the lap blanket I am working on but of course left with yarn for another project too. There are a few really great yarn shops around here and everything is so tempting when you're in the store! This cute little cable knit beanie was on display and they had a yarn that perfectly matched the scarf I made for Elle last year....really how could I resist?! Plus I had never done a project involving cables so this was a great pattern to try them out on. It knitted up in about 2 hours and was very fun...so was the photoshoot! :) I think Ava Mae is going to need one too.

11 comments:

KansasA said...

The hat and Ava are both adorable :) Great job on the cables!

Jules said...

Darcy,

This is SO adorable!:o) Do you have any recommendations for beginner books on knitting?! I have no idea what I am doing but I would LOVE to do this for my girls! Anyway,if you can help me at all with where to find some beginner books it would be MUCH appreciated!:o)

Blessings,
Julie

ps Elle is SO cute with her toothy smile!

Darcy said...

Thank you Kansas and Julie!

Julie,

I taught myself to knit using a book called Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. The instructions and illustrations were very easy to understand. The projects are beautiful and are great because they are easy at the beginning of the book and gradually get more complicated as the new techniques are introduced. With your girls still being so young you would definitly be able to use several of the patterns for them!

Hope that helps!

Jules said...

Thank you! I will try and find this very soon, I can't wait to get started!:o)

Blessings,
Julie

Lisa said...

You did a great job!
I saw your book recomendation and am going to try it out. I would love to knit.
My grandma was such a knitter and I still have boxes and boxes of sweater, hats, gloves, scarves, afghans, and of course sweater vests! Because they were very in style if you were born in 1974!
What a cutie your daughter is!

Nicole said...

That hat is super cute!! And looks very warm!! :) Elle looks adorable in the pics too!! Miss all of you bunches!! ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so cute...good job! And I just read in another comment that you taught youself to knit. I'm impressed! I'm jotting down the title of the book for my daughters.

Darcy said...

Lisa-

Maybe the shawl is the new sweater vest?! There are tons of patterns for those in books today.

Carla -

Your girls could knit up all kinds of beautiful things for their new little niece using that book!


Hi Nicole! I think you would look cute in this hat too! Maybe you'll get one in your Christmas stocking! :)

Lara said...

I love them! My girls love to wear hats so I need to make them new ones this year.

I wanted to say too that I learned to knit just by going in the the local yarn shop with my projects and they were happy to help me learn! The hardest part was learning how to fix mistakes. It was great to have hands on help with that.

Great photos!

Stephanie said...

Everything is so cute...hat, scarf and Elle. I'm amazed it only took 2 hours. (well, not ONLY, but you know...) :)

Anonymous said...

What an adorable hat!!! I have never tackled cables, it seems so daunting! I've just recently gotten into crochet, and I love it!