I spend a lot of time shopping for bargains at the grocery store. A few years ago I found a couple of sites that really motivated me in this area and taught me how to make the most of my dollar at the grocery store - Laine's Letters and Like Merchant Ships. I've learned how to shop by the grocery store ad and now I often shop at both grocery stores in town to pick up the deals. I clip coupons when I find them. Our Sunday paper doesn't have much for coupons in it so my savings aren't substantial but every little bit helps. It's been great to learn so many tips and tricks and it's fun when you find a really great bargain. I look at it as a challenge every week to come in at my budget.
One of my favorite tips that I used to never do was to look for manager's specials or reduced for quick sale items in the meat department. There is usually something marked down. I like to pick these items up and then freeze them right away in the correct portion size for our family meals for later use. Now I'll be able to vacuum seal them and not have to worry about losing them in the freezer and then end up throwing away freezer burnt 'savings'! When I menu plan for the week I often 'shop' from the freezer and plan our meals around the items that we already have. My grocery lists are usually just extra things that are required for the meals and loss leaders to stock the pantry and freezer and of course produce and other staples that get purchased on a weekly basis.
If this is something that interests you I'd encourage you to head over to Meredith's blog and start reading her archived posts on 'food from afar'. One of my favorite series of posts that she has done is a week of cooking on a 1950's budget menu.

2 comments:
We call it the "Super-sucker".
The last time I flew my stuff wasn't fitting into my suitcase and the folks I was staying with had a super-sucker so I super-sucked my liquids so they were sealed and fit better into my check-in luggage.
Not exactly the intended use, but it worked!
Thanks for the tips, Darcy! I have read Laine's Letters before but not Merchant Ships. Laine has a lot of great tips! I will check this out, soon!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Post a Comment