skip to main |
skip to sidebar
how to make a linen pinboard
While I was browsing through the Pottery Barn magazine I noticed the linen pinboard in this picture. I've made a couple of these so I was curious how much PB was charging for theirs. $149! Crazy! My version is $15 - $20. Here's how to do it -
All you need for materials are one sheet of Designer Tack (purchased for $10 at Menards), 1 1/2 yards of fabric (You could choose any fabric you like but I always go for a linen look alike. I buy it at Joann Fabrics for $3.99/yd.), and a stapler (refer to the next picture for the type of stapler to use since I don't know the proper name for it!).
Before you begin, iron your material and remove the plastic from the tack board. Lay your material out and then center your tack board in the middle of it. Staple 2 of the sides that are opposite of each other. Keep pulling the fabric tight as you staple so that you end up with a nice, smooth board.
Before you staple the last 2 edges, you need to do the corners. I'll try to explain how I do this but it's probably better to just look at the pictures or find another way that works for you! First lay the corner out flat, like in the picture above.
Grab the corner of the fold and pull it up to the edge of the tack board. Make sure the fabric is smooth.
Use your thumb to hold the edge in place while you smooth and staple.
Pull up the rest of the fabric, paying close attention to the edge again to make sure it is smooth and tight then staple in place. Finish all 4 corners and then staple the sides remembering to pull the fabric tight again as you staple.
There are several different options when it comes to hanging it. I've used whatever I've had on had. For the one in my sewing closet I used 3M removable mounting tabs and they've worked great. Today though I used two little round screw eyes and wire from my picture hanging kit.
Here it is hung up in Thomas's room. We recently did a little redecorating in his room. He wanted a Star Wars, hockey, football, skateboard, and baseball bedroom. This pin board is my answer to that! :) He chose Star Wars bedding and now he can hang all the sports posters he wants on this pin board.
He's happy with it!
6 comments:
Thanks for sharing this! I think I will attempt to make one for my son's room.
That is really sweet! i think i might ask my mom if i can make one for my room :)
Great idea!! I think I can handle making something like that! I love making something that doesn't require too much help from the hubby :)
That is BRILLIANT! And I hope you don't mind if I post about this on my blog!!
This is great! Thank you!
Love this idea!! Thanks for the inspiration!
Post a Comment