Wednesday, March 21, 2007

works for me wednesday: fluffy pancakes everytime


I used to always use a boxed pancake mix to make pancakes and they usually turned out ok but then I found a recipe for 'Perfect Pancakes' in a favorite cookbook of mine so I gave it a try. We didn't know what we were missing! The recipe calls for you to separate the egg whites from the yolks and to beat the whites until they are stiff. After you've mixed up the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl you then fold in the beaten egg whites. They make the fluffiest, lightest pancakes and they get gobbled up in no time!

It is definately worth the extra effort and really only takes a few more minutes. To speed up the process have one of your kids beat the egg whites for you with an electric hand mixer while you mix up the rest of the recipe. Get your griddle heating up when you first start and it will be ready when you are. I usually make a double batch and then the kids have them for breakfast during the week. Perfect Pancakes works for us! :)

Perfect Pancakes
(from Cooking With Confidence by Eunice Naomi Wiebolt)


3 eggs
2 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt


Preheat griddle to 375 degrees. If you're using a stovetop skillet, make your batter before heating the pan.

Separate egg yolks from the whites, placing the yolks in a large bowl and the whites in a small, deep bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.

Add buttermilk, butter and sugar to the egg yolks; beat well. Stir in flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Do not overmix - a few lumps are all right. If you need to heat a skillet, do it at this time.

Gently fold in beaten egg whites, being careful not to overmix. Your batter should be rather fluffy, with some of the egg whites still visible.

Test your griddle or skillet to make sure it's medium hot. (At the right temperature, a few drops of water sprinkled on the surface will sizzle and dance.) For each pancake, pour about 1/3 cup batter onto hot griddle and spread into a circle. Flip to cook the second side as soon as pancakes are covered with bubbles and edges are slightly dry. Serve immediately with butter and warm syrup. To serve an entire batch at the same time, cover the pancakes loosely and keep warm in a 200 degree oven.

For more Works For Me Wednesday tips visit Rocks in My Dryer!

8 comments:

Shana said...

That looks good! I really want to get my mixer now! I still have to wait a few more weeks before I can get it though :(

Carrie said...

wow - looks good, and makes sense! i'll try it next time - thanks!

Annie said...

Great tip!
blessings~
Annie

Amber said...

yum...I will need to try these! We love pancakes!

KansasA said...

I have a recipe very similar to this one and I have to agree they are the best! Much better than a boxed mixed!

Anonymous said...

I make waffles and that's what I do too with the egg whites. It makes them light and fluffy.

Unknown said...

Ho

Unknown said...

Kids love these!