Thursday, February 07, 2008

the recipe box swap

Randi at I have to say....is hosting a recipe swap today. I am looking forward to finding some new recipes to try! I am already planning to use some of the raspberries we picked and froze last summer to make her Raspberry and Creme muffins. Yum!

I thought I'd share two soup recipes that we really enjoy since the groundhog told us there is still six more weeks of winter. On the sidebar of my blog I have several links to other recipes that I have posted on my blog.

Wild Rice Soup

1/2 cup raw wild rice, rinsed & soaked according to pkg directions
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup Canadian Bacon, diced
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup flour
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans chicken broth
1 tsp. dried snipped chives
1 cup half and half

Bring rice and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil approx. 45 minutes, until rice is fluffed and water is absorbed. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add onion, carrot, celery, Canadian bacon, and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender. Add flour and stir until liquid has evaporated. Slowly add chicken broth, whisking to blend thoroughly. Add wild rice and chives. Slowly add half and half. Heat through, but do not boil.

Clam Chowder

2 cups red potatoes, diced (do not peel)
1 1/2 cups water
1 (8 oz) bottle clam juice, divided
6 slices bacon, diced
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup flour
2 (6 1/2 oz) can chopped clams, undrained
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
Fresh chopped parsley

Combined diced potatoes, water and 1/2 cup clam juice in a saucepan; cook 10 minutes. Do not drain.

Cook bacon in a skillet until brown and crisp; remove and set aside. Add butter to the skillet. Stir in onions and celery; cook 2 minutes add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in flour; cook and stir 3 minutes.

Combine cooked potato mixture, bacon, onion mixture, clams, remaining clam juice, thyme, celery salt, pepper, milk, and cream in a large saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 8 - 10 minutes. Garnish each serving with fresh chopped parsley.

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Oh a cold day like this, your soups sound delicious! I'm going to give the wild-rice soup a try soon... and my parents now live in Lakeville, MN. It's always fun to visit the sights of Minneapolis.

Sharon said...

Yummmm, soups, and chowders are my favorite. THANKS!!!!

Junie Moon said...

Two great recipes just perfect for this time of year. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

The wild rice soup looks delicious--I'll certainly give it a try!

We have raspberry bushes in our yard, and I've picked and frozen some, too. I will probably use some in Randi's muffins, as well.

Thanks for sharing those yummy soup recipes! XO

Renna said...

I can never get enough soup recipes in my box, and these look wonderful. I also checked out several of your other recipes, many of which I plan to make in the future.

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Soup is so perfect for winter dinners. my hubs and I have been wanting to add more brown or wild rice (instead of white) to our diet, so this recipe is great for us. Thanks!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Oh, we love soups! Thanks so much!