Tuesday, February 19, 2008

coat closet organization

I finally found a way to keep the winter outdoor clothing mess to a minimum this year and thought I'd show you how....since it's Talk About Tuesday!

This is the doorway that leads to our garage and is the entrance that gets used by us all of the time. Until this winter this hallway was always a disaster.....coats, mittens, boots, and hats all over.

A couple of years ago Scott built me this nifty tower to help contain everything but I couldn't find any baskets that would fit just right on the shelves. Without the baskets this tower didn't help me to be organized. Everything still got mixed up. This year though Target just happed to have the perfect size milk crate basket to fit inside. It was a happy day when I found them! :) Now each of us has our own basket to hold our hats, scarves, mittens. The kids have been so good about putting everything in the right baskets and I can't remember the last time one of them has said "Mom, I can't find a pair of mittens!"

The other thing I did to do to help organize this closet was put an old cookie sheet on the floor for the kids to put their wet boots on. I also made sure they had special hangers that the suspenders of their snowpants could hang on without falling off.

The hook on the wall holds Ava's diaper bag, packed and ready to go along with any returns that need to be made in town.

This is a picture of mine and Scott's side of the closet. I'm hoping he'll build a shoe shelf for the kids side someday soon. (Hint, hint Honey!) :) The top shelf holds camera bags, my purse, a basket with our snowpants and ski goggles and other winter items that don't get used on a regular basis. There is also a basket that holds all of the summer stuff - caps, sunscreen, golf items, etc....I can't wait till we can take this basket down again!

This system has worked really well for us. It sure is great having a handy hubby to make things like this for me!

Note to self: Stain the top piece of the shelf!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cool. Think your husband will come build one for me? ;-)

Rebecca said...

Looks great! Seeing all of that organization makes me almost wish we had snow that often to have an organized winter closet ourselves.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of you, that closet is amazing

Anonymous said...

Love it! I didn't realize Scott was so handy around the house. I'll need to show Tony these photos so he can get to work :) I love having a brand new house, but I'm STILL getting organized and we've lived here since June. Thanks for the great ideas. Your blog has been so helpful since being at home full-time now has been a real transition for me.

Thanks, Nicholle

Jen Stewart said...

Ahhhh.....that is a beautiful closet! Closets are my hardest organizing area. I really need to work on mine especially. Thanks for the inspiration!

Christy said...

That closet is amazing! Isn't Target a great place to find just the right bin?

Kudos to your husband for building that!

the said...

Thats exactly what I need.... this summer I will have one!

Have a good day,
Stephanie

KansasA said...

Wow Darcy, the organizer looks so much better than those wire store bought ones!

Lara said...

It's beautiful! Thanks for the tour!

Anonymous said...

Looks organizationed!!!!!

WOW