Wednesday, September 02, 2009

project: kitchen backsplash

Scott and I have been talking about tiling the back splash in our kitchen for awhile. For some reason I didn't even think of it when we redid our countertops. We were finishing the basement at the same time so I think we were just focused on that project. I love the look of subway tiles in a kitchen though and now I get to enjoy the look everyday!

Before we just had a traditional style backsplash that matched the countertop and then painted drywall above that. It looked just fine but now that the tiles are in there it's amazing how much brighter and open it looks. After we finished the project we both wondered why we didn't do it a long time ago!

It was a very inexpensive project to do. For under a $100 we gave the kitchen a whole new look! I think the project took a total of around 10 hours. Scott put up most of the tile. After a few mistakes he told me my show was canceled. :) (You'd have to watch Design Star on HGTV to get that!) I did the grouting and now need to seal it.

It's nice to have a hubby with mad tiling skillz! :)

5 comments:

Wendy said...

LOVE how it turned out! I think I will show my husband because I've been thinking about doing the same thing - white subway tiles. Looks great!

Kimmy said...

I LOVE subway tiles as well!! Looks great!

Jules said...

Looks awesome, Darcy! I may try this. We definitely need something inexpensive to spruce up our kitchen...thanks for the idea!

Sheri said...

Looks great! What a "bright, inviting, and clean" kitchen you have!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! It is nice to have a talented hubby..Kevin is a natural at tiling as well. :)