skip to main |
skip to sidebar
rest or reading time
I learned early on in homeschooling that we need a break from each other. That's when we started Rest or Reading Time. Almost everyday after lunch (Monday - Friday) as soon as Ava is down for her nap, Thomas and Elle pick a spot somewhere upstairs and they can either rest or read, that's it. It lasts anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on what we have going on that day. When Elle was in preschool she would often end up falling asleep after she'd looked at books for awhile so that is how we got the name. This has been such a great thing for us. It has really helped to cultivate a love for reading in the kids and having an hour of peace and quiet does a mama good! :)It's a good time for me to clean for awhile, flip through a magazine, blog or even take a quick nap if I'm feeling really tired. We set a timer and when it goes off the kids know that it's time to finish up any school or chores that aren't done yet and then the rest of the afternoon is theirs to do what they want. It's fun when the weather is warm to let them pick a spot to read outside. It's kind of an adventure to read in the playhouse or while your sitting in the swing.
1 comment:
THANK YOU!!! Those are just the words I needed to hear. Our afternoons have been a bit rough lately because the kids weren't getting breaks from each other. I had another friend suggest we do the same and make it a mandatory part of our day. I am finding out the value in this principle and plan to put it into practice. Thanks again!!!
Post a Comment