Wednesday, December 19, 2007

christmas crafting

This morning after we worked on schoolwork for awhile we took a break and did some Christmas crafting. The kids started working on these gumdrop trees yesterday. I think they are so adorable. Here is where I got the idea. Elle continued to work on hers this morning but we ran out of spicedrops so we'll have to pick up some more at the store later.

The other project we are working on are crystal snowflake ornaments. These are so fun and so easy! Here is how you make them -

Supplies you'll need:
- wide mouth jars
- white pipe cleaners
- string
- scissors
- pencils
- boiling water
- spoon
- Borax (20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster)
- food Coloring, optional

Make snowflakes with the white pipecleaners and string. Make sure that your snowflake will fit inside the wide-mouthed jar while it is still empty. Tie several inches of string to one of the pipe cleaners. Tie the other end of the string to a pencil so that the snowflake will hang from the pencil and dangle inside the jar without touching any of the sides.

Remove the snowflake from the jar and pour boiling water into the jar. Add about 3 tablespoons of Borax per cup of water. You can get dramatic with the pouring in of the Borax if you want to...like Thomas here.


Give it a stir and add more Borax if needed. The water should be supersaturated with Borax. You want to see undissolved Borax at the bottom of the jar. If you want colored snowflakes, add a few drops of food coloring to the water. Then hang the snowflake in the jar and let it sit for several hours.

Here are the six snowflakes the kids worked on this morning. It is fun to check on them every now and then to see the crystals forming.

This is what they look like when they are done and dry. I did a test run with one yesterday just to be sure it was going to work. I think they would be cute ornaments or gift toppers.

This would be a fun project even if it isn't Christmastime. Borrow the book, Snowflake Bentley, from your library and learn about snowflakes then make some!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I love both of those ideas! That looks like something we could do for a craft over winter break...do you think that the both of them could be saved from year to year?

Darcy said...

The snowflakes could for sure if you wrap them in tissue paper but I'm not sure about the gumdrop tree.

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

Sorry, my computer went loopy! Thanks for the ideas, Darcy. We will have to try these this weekend, I have been looking for some cute easy to make snowflakes and the gumdrop trees, Claire will LOVE!

Have a Blessed Merry Christmas,

Julie

Stephanie said...

Lots of cuteness over there...I want to try both of these, too. :)

KansasA said...

Wow that is really neat Darcy! The kids did a great job and it looks like fun!

My name is Dianna said...

I love your crafty ideas, we have a lazy day tomorrow so we will have to try some of them:) especially the ornaments and spice drop trees! Merry CHRISTmas and God Bless You and yours from Augusta Ga!