Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a little crafting

I got out the sewing machine for a week or so during Christmas break last month. Elle has been wanting a little zippered bag to carry all of the essential items that a girl must have. I recently borrowed the book 'Bend The Rules Sewing' from the library. It's a great book full of easy and cute projects for beginner sewers. I made the zippered bag using the pattern in there. It turned out cute and was easy enough but I found a tutorial here that I am going to try next time instead because it doesn't involve hand sewing the lining in like this one did. I also made her a matching travel tissue holder from this tutorial. She loves them!

And what are 'the essentials' for a seven year old girl? A small bottle of lotion, hand sanitizer, a fingernail file, cherry candy cane flavored chapstick and of course, a tube of Skittles flavored Lip Smackers lip gloss!

I've since put the sewing machine back in the box but have plans to convert the closet in the guest bedroom into my sewing area. I look forward to having it set up and ready to go for when I have time to sew and feel like making something. Then I can just close the door when I'm done to keep the mess out of sight and little hands out of it. The shelving is bought so hopefully it will happen soon!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Thank you for the book suggestion, Darcy! That sounds like exactly what I have been looking for.

The zippy bag & tissue holder are precious; just LOVE that material!

~By the way, the burrito casserole is super yummy! Everyone loved it!

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea! My nieces are at weird ages where they're not into toys but they're not quite teens either. Tweens? Buying gifts for them is getting tricky and they love handmade stuff. :)

Thanks Darcy!
Andrea L.