Wednesday, June 20, 2007

straw-ba-ba-ba-ba-berries!!

Today is the first day the U-Pick strawberry farm by us is open. I went and picked 3 overflowing icecream buckets full of super sweet, bright red berries this moring. This is definately a highlight of every summer for me. I have half of them cleaned and in the freezer on cookie sheets. I will put them in freezer bags when they are frozen and they will get used throughout the year in smoothies. I also take some of them and add sugar for topping icecream and angel food cake. Several get made into strawberry jam and then we eat them till we can't eat anymore!

Tonight for dinner I am making this salad -

Strawberry-Citrus Chicken Salad

Place these items in a large bowl -
washed green leaf lettuce
sliced strawberries
mandarin oranges, drained of juice
sliced red onion

Sprinkle 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand for 10 minutes and then cut into 1/2 inch thick slices and place on top of salad greens.

Top with Strawberry-Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Strawberry-Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 1/2 cups strawberry jam

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp chopped rosemary
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Pulse all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Ava likes them! :)

3 comments:

jessica said...

mmm....looks delicious!

Real Life Sarah said...

What an adorable red face!!

Lynn said...

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I have just discovered your blog. I'm printing this recipe out. It sounds wonderful! Thanks.