Tuesday, March 03, 2009

smoky beef tacos

I picked up the latest issue of Everyday Food while standing in the grocery line check out and planned most of our meals this week from this issue. I still haven't subscribed to this magazine but after last night's meal I definitely am going to! I made the Smokey Beef Tacos and they were SO good! I have been looking for the perfect recipe for shredded beef ever since Scott and I went out for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant and I had the best shredded beef burritos. I've finally found it! I made just a couple of changes to the recipe that is posted below. Here is a link to the original. It could easily be made in the crockpot all day instead of cooking it in the oven. I love any chance I get to use the Le Creuset dutch oven that Scott surprised me with at Christmas so I made it in the oven as directed. It was perfection!

2 Tbsp chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/2 cup ketchup
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds), excess fat trimmed
flour tortillas
toppings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, stir together chiles, ketchup, 1 cup water, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Cut beef into 4 equal pieces. Add to pot, and turn to coat. Cover, and bring to a boil; transfer pot to oven. Bake, covered, until beef is fork-tender, about 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer beef to a bowl. With a large spoon, skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks; moisten with cooking liquid as needed. (This is spicy! I only added back half of the cooking liquid as I didn't want it to get too hot.) Serve beef in warm tortillas with desired toppings.

Recommend toppings:
shredded white cheddar cheese
chopped avacado
diced tomatoes
steamed corn (Sounds weird but it's very good. Martha recommended serving it with a corn and tomato salsa which I'm sure is excellent but I wanted the kids to be able to eat the corn as a side dish as well.)
sour cream

This made a lot so there is plenty for 2, if not 3 meals for our family. I am going to freeze a portion of it and use it to make burritos sometime soon.

For dessert I made fried icecream! The kids want it everyday now. :) I'll be sharing the recipe for that soon!

Photo Source - marthastewart.com

3 comments:

jessica said...

looks delicious - I think I might know what I'll be making for dinner tomorrow!

Autryville said...

Yum! We love everything beef and anything mexican here, so that looks perfect for us. Great recipe!

The pictures of Ava on the sink are too cute. That white dress is adorable!

Jules said...

Hi Darcy!

Hope you are enjoying your blogging break! Quick question: I have a lot of this left over & want to try your burritos! Could you please email me with your recipe?! Thanks!!!

~Julie