Monday, July 16, 2007

coffee grounds for the garden

A Starbucks just opened in town so while our kids were at vacation bible school this morning a friend and I stopped in for a frappacino. On the way out I noticed these bags of used coffee grounds that were available for free to use in the garden. I did a little research online about how to use them and why they are beneficial. Here is what I found out -

- Coffee grounds are rich in nutrients and would benefit a backyard compost pile.
-
Use them to mulch garden pathways.
-
They are a good source of nitrogen making them a good mulch in the vegetable garden.
-
Keep the slugs away from your hostas, lillies, daffodils and other spring bulbs by mulching around the plants with the grounds.
-
They are a good soil ammendment for plants that like an acidic soil such as hydrangeas, roses and azaleas.

Just be sure to do some reading before using them to find out the appropriate amount to use for your soil. I happen to have a yellow rose bush that is waiting to be planted as well as 4 hostas so I found these used grounds at just the right time.

No comments: