Monday, September 22, 2008

cheddar corn chowder

Jessica at Turkey Cookies is hosting a soup recipe swap each month this autumn and I am looking forward to trying several new recipes as the weather gets cooler. This weekend was warm and sunny here so we didn't make soup and instead grilled each night.

The recipe I'm sharing this time is for Cheddar Corn Chowder. I made this a month or so ago and we all really enjoyed it. Next time though I will either make only half the recipe or try freezing part of it because it makes a lot. We had it for a few meals and it started to become too much of a good thing. :)

Cheddar Corn Chowder
(serves 10 to 12)


1 lb. bacon, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups yellow onions, chopped (3 large onions)
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
6 cups (2 lbs.) medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled
10 cups (3 lbs.) frozen corn kernels *
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 lb. sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
Corn tortilla chips (I use Tostitos yellow corn tortilla chips)
snipped fresh chives

In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, cook the bacon until it is crisp. Remove from pot and reserve. Spoon out most of the bacon grease from the pot and reduce heat to medium. Add olive oil, butter and onions. Cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and just starting to caramelize.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve hot with a garnish of bacon, shredded white cheddar, chives and corn tortilla chips.

*You can also use fresh corn to make this soup. I did this when I made it but did not think it was worth the effort and time. If you want to try it though, here are the directions - Cut the corn off the cob (about 10 ears) and blanch the kernels in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and then add to the soup.

Source: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

3 comments:

Wendy said...

that sounds so good! thanks for sharing!

Sandra Lundy said...

I love corn chowder (and even posted my recipe) but adding in the cheese can only be an improvement! I'll definitely try this version next time :) Yum*my!

Jessica said...

I think there's about one more week of the corn season here and I need to get some ears and freeze them up so that I can try this recipe! It sounds great. Thanks for being a part of the Soup Swap!